What We Do

Animal Intake

Change an Animal's Life

Giving Up Your Pets

If circumstances make it so you need to find a new home for your animal (s), please contact us. We accept pets on a space- available basis. Sometimes we are full but do keep waiting lists and can offer resources to help while you wait.

We will ask questions to help us better understand your pet and their needs so we can find them a new loving home. Any medical records or history about your pet is helpful. Some restrictions may apply.

We do accept injured or sick stray animals (cats, dogs, etc) on a case by case basis and depending on the severity of the issue, as we are the only shelter to provide this service in Portage County. We will help as many as we can with the resources available to us.

To provide you and your pet with the best service, or to answer your questions about possible intake, we suggest you make an appointment for admission. Call the shelter at 330-296-4022 during business hours

Do not abandon your animal at the shelter.

Do not attempt to abandon your animal at the shelter. Abandonment is against the law. Surveillance video may be used to prosecute.

Make an Admissions Appointment with Portage APL


For All Stray Dogs, Call the Portage County Warden


Portage County Dog Warden Emergency After-Hours


Kent Police (Non-Emergency, Kent Residents)